ENGAGE: The Middle East
A module examining conflicts in Middle Eastern history from the Crusades to today
- Why has there been so much conflict in this geographical area?
- What conditions, people, or events have exacerbated the conflicts?
- What conditions, people, or events have stifled the conflicts?
- How do the culture and traditions of Israel and Palestine differ from each other and those in the United States? From those of the Far East?
- How might those differences interfere with the peace process?
- How have Mideastern traditions and culture changed to adapt to the 21st Century?
First, let's look at where the Middle East is located and which countries are located in the Middle East.
- Visit the link
- Scroll down to the part of the page titled: "What's in a Name?"
- Read the section "What's in a Name?"
- Be prepared to answer: What is "an ambiguously applied name"? (If you need to know what ambiguous means, use the Merriam-Webster link found in the "More Resources" sidebar for the definition.)
Now, let's look at a video about the conflict between Israel and Palestine.
- Watch the youtube video below with your class in Dialogue Center or individually.
- Be prepared to discuss in Dialogue Center: Does this video accurately present both sides of the conflict? Are any of the word inflammatory? Is any of the information biased?